Skype for iPhone: Getting Started
Before you get started
Before you download Skype, you will need to ensure the following:
- Your iPhone has sufficient battery and is fully charged
- You are logged into your iCloud account (This is required to download apps from the App Store)
- Your iPhone is connected to stable Wi-Fi
- You have a valid email (This is required to sign up to Skype)
Make sure you have checked all the above mentioned things before downloading Skype.
For more information on using Skype on iPhone, read our detailed guide: Skype for iPhone
1. Get the Skype app (it’s free* and uses only a little data)
- App Store: From your home screen, swipe sideways to find the App Store icon. Touch it to open.
- Search: Press the Search magnifying glass at bottom right.
- Find “Skype”: Type the word Skype in the search area at the top
- Select “Skype for iPhone”: Touch “skype for iphone”. It’s usually second in the list. (For iPads, touch “skype for ipad”).
- Get the app: Touch the GET button on the right. (If you’ve downloaded the app before, the button will be a download cloud). If you already see OPEN, skip the next step.
- Wait for download: It may take a few minutes. Wait for the OPEN button to appear.
- Open the app: Touch the OPEN button. Wait.
2. Create an Account (If you already have an account, sign in and skip to Invite Videophone User).
- Open Skype app: It should be already open from the last step. If not, then from your home screen, swipe left to find the Skype icon. Touch it to open.
- Create Account: Touch the Create Account button.
- Use Email Address instead*: Enter the email address you want to register with Skype. Touch Next. (Alternatively, you can use your phone number rather than the email address).
- Name: Enter your First name and Surname. Touch Next.
- Verify your email: Wait for a verification code to be sent to your email. Go into your email and note this code.
- Enter code: Enter the 4-digit code. Press Next. Wait for verification.
- Skip Theme: You should see “Choose a Theme”. At top right, touch Skip (Alternatively, you can use select a theme if you wish).
- Skip Contact Sync: You should see “Sync your contacts”. At top right, touch Skip (Alternatively, you can give Skype access to your contacts).
- Almost there: You should see “Almost there!”. At bottom right, touch the right arrow.
- Microphone: Skype would like to access the microphone. Touch OK.
- Camera: Skype would like to access the camera. Touch OK.
- Notifications: Skype would like to send you notifications (to receive calls). Touch Allow.
- Colours: You’ll see “Colour Your World”. Swipe up, then at the top, touch Close cards or hide cards.
3. Get in touch with Konnekt
- Search for Konnekt_000 in the search bar. Click on Konnekt Pty Ltd
- Say Hi to connect with us
- We can help you with setting up contacts and making calls
* Note that this process ties Skype to your email address so when you login to Skype on another device such as your computer, you’ll need access to your email to receive a security code.
Note that Konnekt does not represent Skype, Apple or any third party companies.