Those without FACE-TO-FACE contact with FAMILY or FRIENDS at least 3 TIMES PER WEEK have DOUBLE the risk of elderly DEPRESSION!
People living alone are at greater risk of depression. It’s no secret that we humans are designed to socialize.
A recent OHSU study shows that face-to-face social contact can reduce the risk of depression by a factor of two:
- Of those who had face-to-face social contact, 3 times per week, only 6.5% suffered from depression.
- Those who had face-to-face contact less often had an 11.5% incidence of depression.
- Having more or fewer phone conversations, or written or email contact, had no effect on depression.
- Socializing with staff or others had no effect on depression. Only face-to-face contact with family or friends had a positive impact.
- The derived gains endure for 7 years.
“Researchers found that having little FACE-TO-FACE social contact nearly DOUBLES your risk of having depression 2 years later. Having more or fewer phone conversations, or written or email contact, had no effect on depression.” — Dr. Alan Teo’s study of 11,000 older adults.
Only 17% of Aged Care residents see family / friends once per week or more, let alone 3 times per week.
Do YOU see YOUR Mum, Dad or Grandparent 3 times per week? Fortunately, if you’re too busy or too far away, there is a solution to elderly depression.
How much is Health and Happiness worth?
Konnekt Videophone lets older adults have face-to-face contact with family and friends as often as they want, without the travel.
Read more about health, social isolation, and caring for the elderly.